[CentOS] large SCSI RAID, replacing server

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Tue Sep 10 18:04:32 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
| On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM, James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca>
| wrote:
| > | are both systems totally identical hardware? in that case, I'd
| > | simply
| > | move ALL the disks, including the system volume.
| >
| > I agree here.  Looking at the future, consider e2label to assign or
| > change a label on an ext2/3/4 file system or xfs_admin -L <label>
| > /dev/sdc1 for XFS and then move to using file system labels
| > instead.  It will avoid the device enumeration problems discussed
| > earlier.
|
| Or make it worse, depending on how well and how centrally you can
| track things like that.

I was referring more to the context of these two machines and swapping the disks.  In this case it would be simple, however, on larger scale yes, it can be problematic.

Still, it seems like this case is an offline cold backup and not an online hot swap in.  If the latter is what is desired I would recommend something completely different that this.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices

“A successful person is one who can lay a solid foundation from the bricks others have thrown at them.” -David Brinkley via Luke Shaw