[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Sep 12 13:02:58 UTC 2013

On 12/09/13 12:35, Patrick Lists wrote:
> On 09/12/2013 12:03 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> I recently, perhaps foolishly, changed over a remote server
>> from sendmail/procmail to postfix/amavis/spamassassin/clamd ,
>> and I'm finding it difficult to configure this setup.
>>
>> The CentOS document <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix>
>> explicitly says that its instructions may not work in CentOS-6.
>> Does anyone know of reasonably simple postfix documentation
>> for CentOS-6?
>
> Read "Postfix: The Definitive Guide" or "The Book of Postfix". Years ago
> I read the first and used it to setup multiple domains with virtual
> accounts. Works perfectly to this day. Also heard good things about the
> 2nd book. Both should give you ample knowledge how to setup Postfix.
>
>> I've been amazed how bad the postfix documentation is.
>> It actually seems to be worse that sendmail documentation,
>> which I thought established a record for this sort of thing.
>> The official documentation at
>> <http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html>
>> is ludicrously wordy, with every conceivable option
>> listed in random order.
>
> Imho the Postfix documentation is excellent. Admittedly it does not do
> any handholding but once you are familiar with it, it's very helpful to
> have such an elaborate overview of all possible options.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Postfix is obviously going to be a little different for those
transitioning from Sendmail, but I firmly believe it's much less
complicated to learn and deploy for those first starting out on the road
to deploying a mail server. I believe the widespread recognition of this
fact is one of the main reasons behind Postfix being the default MTA in
RHEL6.

> I would suggest to start with a basic Postfix setup without all the
> bells and whistles, get that going and then slowly add things like
> anti-spam rules, amavis etc. Using git for your configs helps reverting
> if something blows up.

Excellent advice IMHO, and exactly the way the CentOS Wiki documentation
was written, albeit for CentOS 5. Start with the basic Postfix guide,
then bolt on some basic spam filtering, postgrey, SASL, amavisd/ClamAV
as required.

You can see the full list of guides here:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-0facb50d5796bee0bd394636c32ffa9a997a6ab5