[CentOS] Anyone has experience with OpenVAS and the Atomicorp repository

Steve Clark sclark at netwolves.com
Thu Sep 12 13:37:27 UTC 2013

I have used it on CentOS 6.3.

This is how we loaded it.

Step 1: Configure Atomicorp Repository
sudo -i
export NON_INT=Y; wget -q -O - http://www.atomicorp.com/installers/atomic | sh

Step 2: Quick-Install OpenVAS
yum -y --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=base,updates,atomic,rpmforge install openvas gsd
openvas-setup
openvas-certdata-sync
service openvas-scanner start
openvasmd --rebuild
service openvas-manager start
service gsad start

During the openvas-setup you will prompted to create a user/login.
-- no rules are needed.

The above step can take quite a while depending on the speed of your connection as all the current security vulnerabilities are being downloaded.
Open https://localhost:9392/ or start "gsd" on a command line as a regular user (not as root!)
The first thing to do is create a target under Configuration menu then create a Scan Task and then start the scan task. Refresh your browser to track the progress of the scan.