[CentOS] Queries usb installer / live usb

SilverTip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 14:47:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 5:50 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan <
raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
> <raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am trying to prepare
> > 1. installer usb using iso with (centos minimal + custom rpm)
> > 2. a Live usb using (centos minimal + custom rpm)

So you're going to have a local copy of all the RPMs for the minimal
installer to use?

Personally I think you're best off saving yourself headaches and making
certain you have a network available (and might just as well PXE boot at
that point).

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv6-list/2011-June/msg00026.html
http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2006-November/msg00186.html

> > 2. where should the kickstart file be located - inside isolinux
> > directory or above it?

Per the URLs above:
- It appears you can place a ks.cfg on the root of the device and it will
be used by default.  Though it is also possible (and probably best for
multiple kickstart recipes) to specify the config manually.

> > 3. If we just put ks=ks.cfg where should ks.config be located?

See notes above.

> Another small issue: network (Lan/Internet) may or may not be
> available. remote access may or may not be there.

Disclaimer:
I have not tested the above notes for complete accuracy.
I have always had a network connection available and [in many cases] PXE
booted my installs.  I reference a kickstart config on a local web server.

> --
> Regards,
>
> Rajagopal

Mike