[CentOS] Setting up postfix under CentOS-6

natxo asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 14:59:35 UTC 2013

On 09/13/2013 03:59 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> natxo asenjo wrote:

> If you mean myhostname in /etc/postfix/main.cf
> then as I just said it is set to the fqdn.
> Also I should point out that sendmail has been working perfectly there,
> without any such messages in /var/log/maillog .

obviosly sendmail is not postfix, is it? Or does sendmail have a config
on /etc/postfix/main.cf?

>> Trying to run an MTA on a
>> dial-up host is an exercise in futility. You may agree of disagree
>> whether this is fair, but it is a fact.
>
> It may be a fact, but it is a totally irrelevant one in this context,
> since I am not "running an MTA on a dial-up host".
> I have a perfectly standard broadband connection
> (admittedly a little flaky in Italy).

Broadband consumer connections are 'dial-up'.

That is why it was it blocked by spamhaus policy.

>> If you want to have a test postfix server with an acceptable IP address,
>> get yourself a vm on any cloud provider. Then you will not be blocked
>> unless you start spamming :-) . Those vm's are very affordable (from
>> 5$/month on).
>
> This suggestion, like others along the same lines,
> seems more or less crazy to me.
> Why on earth should I want to get a VM on a cloud provider?
> I have perfectly good internal and external IP addresses
> (the latter thanks to dyndns).

obviously not to send email directly which is what you were trying to
do. When having such an ip no mx server will accept messages from you
directly. That is why you need to relay to your e-mail provider.

The fact that you state you use dyndns proves do not understand how smtp
servers work. No mx server will talk to your dyndns mta directly
*except* your isp's mta.

> As I have said, I have postfix/amavis working perfectly now.
> But it was much more time-consuming than it should have been,
> due in my opinion to very bad documentation,
> or possibly lack of documentation for someone setting up a home network.

or lack of knowledgde on your part on how smtp servers work. Everything
is possible.