[CentOS] Evergreen ILS on CentOS?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Sep 16 17:05:14 UTC 2013

James Freer wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Can you say, "dependency hell"?
>>
>> I suspect they wrote it on Ubuntu (this is client/server software, dunno
>> why they'd do that). At any rate, I yum installed the postgresql 9.x
>
> I don't think it is appropriate to be derogatory to other distros. Before
> yum there was 'dependency hell'. However, bear in mind apt-get is a
superior
> package manager to yum... not my opinion but the opinion of many.

Let's see, where to begin to respond...

1. This *is* the CentOS list, last time I looked. We don't use apt-get.
2. A fair bit of the system software on ubuntu is several releases newer;
     therefore, anything written on the current release of that will not
     run on an enterprise distro for years.
3. Ubuntu is, as far as I can tell, targeted at the desktop user. It is *not*
     targeted for servers.
4. Finally, yum has nothing to do with this: it's all repo software, not
      how I get it.

Now, I AM most certainly derogatory about the developers. *Most* large
organizations, and larger libraries, are *not* going to be running The
Latest Ubuntu, with Unity, or whatever; that *is* who, by default, they're
targeting. Now, if the software was intended for home users (and I need to
implement a library system for my own library), that would be fine. But
it's a bad idea for the actual target audience.

     mark