[CentOS] Gnome 2.x window placement

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Sep 16 19:40:32 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 12:45:34PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 14:31:33 -0400
> Fred Smith wrote:
>
> > Anyone know how to solve this?
>
> I've never used this myself, but this appears to do what you want.
>
> http://www.gusnan.se/devilspie2/

Thanks, Frank.

One should always remember: "Use the Source, Luke."

so I took a gander at the rdesktop source and lo and behold, it has an
undocumented option to specify the x and y offsets where the window should
be placed!

"-g480x320" gives you a window of 480 horizontal and 320 vertical, placed
wherever it feels like putting it.

"-g480x320+480+50" gives you a window of 480 horizontal and 320 vertical,
placed at an x offset of 480x and 50y. From which I kinda assume that
without the "+480+50" it puts it at the top left-hand corner of the
display, which in fact seems to be what it's doing.

You can, of course, use a "-" instead of a "+" when specifying the offsets,
too, though that would seem to place things off the edge of the screen,
and I'd wonder what's the point...

Fred

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.