[CentOS] This is a test of Nixnet blocking

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Sep 16 20:29:56 UTC 2013

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 16.09.2013 22:06, schrieb m.roth at 5-cent.us:
>> Most of the time since last Thursday or so, that piece of crap called
>> Nixnet (ix.manitu) has been blocking my hosting provider's mailservers.
>
> I see you in rage mode, though I like to totally disagree. The
> ix.dnsbl.manitu.net RBL is doing a great job.
>
>> I did ask, when I talked to support last week, and they host *millions*
>> of domains. They do not have a million techs (neither does google - but
I'm
>> *sure* none of you have ever gotten spam from google mail, right?).
>
> Like nobody ever got SPAM from hotmail, nor yahoo. Right, nobody ever.
>
>> Again, I'll give my argument that blocking a mailserver, rather than a
>> domain has been the *WRONG* answer for at least 15 or more years. A
>> dozen or so years ago, they blocked Chicago roadrunner... which
provided 'Net
>> access and email to about half the City of Chicago, IL, USA, which,
>> Karanbir, is about a quarter the size of the London metro area, so we're
>> talking hundreds of thousands of people.
>
> A mailserver which permits to send out SPAM has to be blocked. Period.
> Well, it is not the server itself being guilty, it is the postmaster
> being responsible.

Which is *exactly* why it's the *wrong* answer these days.

>> Now, in days after massive consolidation of ISPs (even the Canadian ISP
>> that userfriendly's Columbia Internet has bee bought and closed up),
>> this means that they're blocking telcos and giant hosting providers.
>
> Vote with your money if your email provider does not do a good job.

They do. 95+% of the time. With that many domains, if scum open an
account, then send out spam, or someone's home system gets infected, and
they wind up sending it out, it takes a while to catch it - are you going
to argue that?

And yet Nix blocks the central mailserver.

>> I'm really, REALLY tired of being blocked when a couple dozen domains,
>> hiding out in millions of them at one hosting provider, results in a few
>> million people being blocked from sending email.
>
> I am glad if SPAM proliferation hosts get listed.

So, google and yahoo and others should be blocked, also? Or is it only all
mailservers that are not the size of those that should all be punished?

No. Block domains.

        mark