[CentOS] NFS mounted files owned by nobody

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 16:09:22 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 2 centos boxes and I want to NFS mount a dir from one to the
> other. When I do that the files on the client all are owned by
> nobody.nobody. I verified that the user and group of the files on the
> server exist on both hosts and have the same uid and gid. I googled
> and found this:
>
> http://whacked.net/2006/07/26/nfsv4nfs-mapid-nobody-domain/
>
> domainname on both machines returns (none). I edited /etc/resolve.conf
> on both and put 'domain foobar' as the first line in both. But then
> when I did a 'service network restart' the files were re-written and
> my changes were gone.

Edit /etc/idmapd.conf and set
Domain =
to the same thing on both, and do a 'service rpcidmapd reload'.  And
note that it still won't map names to different uids the way you
expect unless you have kerberos or some network authentication set up,
but if the uids are the same it should work and at least quit mapping
them to nobody.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com