[CentOS] Run one-time startup script

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Sep 25 13:19:38 UTC 2013

Kai Schaetzl wrote on Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:00:19 +0200:

> Seems I have to use an init script
> in rc0.d?

I tested the following:
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K000halt
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K99zhalt
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S000halt
/etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S999halt

Only /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S000halt gets executed, e.g. the file that gets
executed before killall and halt. Why don't the K* links get executed?
There are lots of other K* files, obviously for a reason. When are they
executed? (I mean I don't see that I could leave a level 0 state to enter
another runlevel.)

It's not quite clear to me when S000halt gets executed. As I understand
it's run when entering this runlevel and this runlevel is entered exactly
when? At the very end of the shutdown after all daemons have been stopped?
Basically the "state" of being shutdown or is it entered immediately after
entering the shutdown command?

Kai