[CentOS] scanner only works in su mode

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Sep 25 17:16:05 UTC 2013

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013, Frank Cox wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 17:57:12 -0500 (CDT)
> Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> What do I change to make it let me use xsane or hp-scan as myself?
>
> You need to set the permission on the scanner device to allow your username to
> use it, since it's apparently now set to allow root only.
>
> scanimage -L will tell you where it is.

[root at localhost tmp]# scanimage -L
device `hpaio:/usb/Photosmart_C3100_series?serial=CN6ARC321S04KV' is a Hewlett-Packard Photosmart_C3100_series all-in-one

That agrees with the output from hp-scan, but it does not seem to help.
What permissions do I change?

root at localhost tmp]# find /dev -name 'Photo*'
[root at localhost tmp]# find /usb -name 'Photo*'
find: `/usb': No such file or directory
[root at localhost tmp]# locate Photosmart_C3100
[root at localhost tmp]#

I used strace on hp-scan.
It used every "file" under /dev/bus/usb:
[root at localhost tmp]# ls -R /dev/bus/usb
/dev/bus/usb:
001  002  003  004  005

/dev/bus/usb/001:
001  006

/dev/bus/usb/002:
001

/dev/bus/usb/003:
001  002

/dev/bus/usb/004:
001

/dev/bus/usb/005:
001
[root at localhost tmp]#

For some reason, hp-scan also opened a lot of sane libraries,
mostly for brands other than HP.
hp-scan read "Photosmart C3180\n" a lot.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily