[CentOS] Dual Boot Windows 8 & CentOS 6.4

amit joshi fan_gnr at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 18:07:14 UTC 2013

________________________________
 From: Nicolas Thierry-Mieg <Nicolas.Thierry-Mieg at imag.fr>
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 4:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Dual Boot Windows 8 & CentOS 6.4

amit joshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am studying for the RHCSA Exam and wanted to install CentOS 6.4 alongside Windows 8. I got a new laptop with a processor that supports virtualization.
>
> I am planning to remove all the recovery partitions after backing up all drivers etc. on them. Lets see how it works out.
>
> Any caveats I should know about?

I recently installed 6.4 in dual boot with windows 8, on a new modern
laptop.
There were initially a bunch of smallish partitions, some apparently for
recovery, others for hibernate or expresscache (this laptop has a HDD
with a small 24G SSD) or whatnot.
IMO it's not so easy to find out what each partition is used for -
although admittedly I haven't had much windows exposure since XP.
So, if you want to keep your windows fully functional, rather than
removing these partitions I would recommend shrinking one or more of the
"real" windows partitions (C: or D: or wherever you have space). You can
do that easily within win8 through the control panel.
The 6.4 installer will then use that free space and all should be fine.

On the laptop I worked with, disabling secure boot was a bios option,
you should have it too if your laptop uses uefi.

The most pain I had was finding out what the 18G partition on the SSD
was used for (expresscache, which I disabled so I could remove that
partition and use it for centos), and I had to put the /boot partition
on the HDD otherwise grub wouldn't see it. I also put /var and /tmp (and
/home of course) on the HDD, and created / for the rest on the SSD. It
seems to work fine, although I'm a bit worried as to how long the ssd
will last.

HTH
__________________

Hi,

My laptop model is Lenovo G580 and it has pre-installed Windows 8. After finally getting to install CentOS alongside Windows 8, and following instructions on the internet to install GRUB to the root (/) device itself, I had a non-working CentOS installation.
Further to this, I was supposed to use a tool in Windows 8 called EasyBCD, which was supposed to use the Windows Boot loader & give me an option for CentOS. I tried this in all ways possible but it just won't let me boot to CentOS.

I finally got my hands on a CentOS Live CD & tried to do a grub-install but it returns the following error:

[code]
root at livecd ~]# grub-install /dev/sda
/dev/mapper/../dm-0 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
[/code]

The Hard-drive is formatted with the new "GPT" and I am very familiar with the age-old "MBR". So now the question is, how do I install grub on this GPT thingy in the cleanest way possible? Or should i convert GPT to MBR using gdisk or such tools.

I understand that converting from GPT to MBR will make my hard drive lose all its data and also the licensed Windows 8 on it -- but I don't really care much about that.

Regards,
adj