[CentOS] erase disk

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Sep 26 19:33:16 UTC 2013

On 9/26/2013 11:30 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> I have a CentOS server (a Dell 860) with two drives in it.
>
> One is running CentOS 6.4 which I want to keep & the bigger 400GB drive
> has Debian 7 on it which I want to erase & use for backups.
>
> Which is the best way to go about achieving my intended goal? The Debian
> drive is not mounted when Centos is booted.

this 400GB drive is /dev/sdb ?

as root...
fdisk /dev/sdb
          and delete all partitions, create a new linux partition thats
the full size of the disk, exit fdisk.
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
mkdir /backups

edit /etc/fstab and add a line to the bottom like:
/dev/sdb1    /backups     ext3   defaults    1 2

now, mount /backups

voila, done.  your backups will be mounted as /backups when you reboot.