[CentOS] to lvm or not to lvm - why/when to use lvm

Phil Gardner phil.gardnerjr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 16:39:33 UTC 2013

On 09/27/2013 11:25 AM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Antonio da Silva Martins Junior
> <asmartins at uem.br> wrote:
>> Well, I think this is one of the big examples of what
>> we can do with LVM: http://www.greyoak.com/lvmdrive.html
>
> This is one of the top reasons that I use LVM on my home builds. I
> generally build with an SSD as the OS disk and a large SATA drive as
> my /home. When I need a bigger disk, which happens occasionally, I can
> either add or move up to a larger disk. I tend to just move up to a
> larger disk as I prefer a single disk to multiple disks for both
> reliability, reduced noise, and reduced power usage.

So we can generally say that LVM offers no real drawbacks in terms of
flexibility, but it seems like we are mostly talking about homebrew setups.

What about in a high iops situation? Is there any evidence/testing out
there that might show that there is some overhead of LVM that might
impact total throughput?