[CentOS] erase disk

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 21:08:52 UTC 2013

On 28/09/13 16:35, Phil Dobbin wrote:
> On 26/09/13 20:33, John R Pierce wrote:
>> On 9/26/2013 11:30 AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>>> I have a CentOS server (a Dell 860) with two drives in it.
>>>
>>> One is running CentOS 6.4 which I want to keep & the bigger 400GB drive
>>> has Debian 7 on it which I want to erase & use for backups.
>>>
>>> Which is the best way to go about achieving my intended goal? The
>>> Debian
>>> drive is not mounted when Centos is booted.
>> this 400GB drive is /dev/sdb ?
>>
>> as root...
>> fdisk /dev/sdb
>>            and delete all partitions, create a new linux partition thats
>> the full size of the disk, exit fdisk.
>> mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
>> mkdir /backups
>>
>> edit /etc/fstab and add a line to the bottom like:
>> /dev/sdb1    /backups     ext3   defaults    1 2
>>
>> now, mount /backups
>>
>> voila, done.  your backups will be mounted as /backups when you reboot.
>>

> Thanks to everybody for their input but I think I'll go with the
> method above. The disk is virtually a virgin Debian install so no
> secret or critical files are aboard & I think this should suffice.
>
> Thanks for your help,

I went down the GParted route in the end. Booted from System Rescue CD &
got shot of the stuff that was on there. Worked a treat.

Cheers,

      Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
Arch Linux, CentOS 5.9 & 6.4, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora Spherical & That Damn Cat, Lubuntu 12.10, OS X Snow Leopard & Tiger, Ubuntu Quantal, Raring & Saucy