[CentOS] OT hardware question

Daniel Bird dbird at sgul.ac.uk
Sat Feb 1 11:18:22 UTC 2014

On 31/01/2014 15:52, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> With the continuing annoyance from motion, my manager's asked me to go
> looking again for a video surveillance appliance: basically, a
> motion-detecting DVR and cameras. The big thing, of course, is a) price
> (this is a US federal gov't agency, and being civilian, money is *tight*,
> don't give me the libertarian/GOP line about how freely we spend,
> thankyouverymuch), b) it has to be on the network, and c) we need to be
> able to d/l to a server, and rm after we do that... and we want to script
> or cron job that.
Looking down the thread, probably not what you want to hear since it
runs on Windows, and it's not an "appliance", more DIY, however

http://www.ispyconnect.com/

Is "free" and works really well. Feature list is everything you'd expect
from a surveillance system.

We use cheap (<£40) IP camera's like
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-camera-Pan-Tilt-2-ways/dp/B00432J56G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391252923&sr=8-2

in our DC.  However, with this, the chose is yours since the list of
supported cameras is as long as your arm.

We have this running on a very old core duo 2 PC, with 2 GB of ram (Win
7) ; with 8 cameras and motion detect running. Works a treat, and has
done for 2 yrs+

Only downside is you need a subscription if you want to monitor outside
your LAN, but I don't see that requirement from you.