[CentOS] 6.5 single user mode

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 21:33:59 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:

>>> I want to boot into single user mode and run a script automatically.
>> <snip>
>>
>> How often - every time, or just once? If every time, create a script and
>> put it in /etc/init.d/, with a link to /etc/rc1.d, or use whatever it is
>> in systemd's analog.
>>
>>          mark
> Everytime. We have a USB key that has a tarfile of CentOS and our software on it
> The script partitions the hard drive and untars the tarfile - this takes about 2 minutes vs using
> a custom kickstart file which takes 20 to 30 minutes.
>
> So we build a CentOS respin iso image along
> with our software - install it into a virtual machine and at the end of the install the ks file creates a tarfile from the new image.
> We then move this image to the USB key.
>
> In CentOS 5.x all I had to do was create a .profile file in / and it would get ran. CentOS 6.x doesn't
> run the .profile -

If what you are really doing is the equivalent of cloning images, you
might look at clonezilla, or the backup/restore package called rear
(in EPEL).   But for a quick brute-force change, you could probably
edit /etc/init/rcS-sulogin.conf and add the script you want to replace
/sbin/sushell.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com