[CentOS] Console access to kvm guest running WindowsV7

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 15:49:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:

>> I have installed a Windows instance as a kvm guest on a host running
>> CentOS-6.5.  I can access the desktop through the virt-manager console
>> and
>> everythign seems to work, although the mouse cursor seems to get lost
>> from
>> time to time.
>>
>> The virt-manager console display supports various resolutions but when
>> re-size the desktop display remains essentially a square inside a
>> letter box.
>>  What other methods are available to open the windows desktop from the
>> CentOS-6.5 host console or by remote access that allow me to have a
>> re-sizable
>> MS-Windows desktop display for this guest running on my normal
>> (gnome2)
>> desktop?
>
> What I do is change the resolution inside the guest, or use rdesktop
> with the desired geometry.
> There's no resizable display with virt-manager yet (a la Vbox).

Even with VMware I generally prefer to connect directly to the guest
with vnc, redesktop, NX, etc. instead of the VM console once the
network access is configured.

However the main problem I have with the virt-manager console is that
when using NX/freenx to the KVM host, the mouse pointers seems to run
at a wildly different resolution than the screen display.   I can
usually manage to get the pointer where I want but it often involves
going 'past' the edge of the guest screen to get somewhat in sync,
then back where I wanted it.    Is there some way to get the console's
mouse to track the positioning of the host's X screen as managed by
freenx?

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com