[CentOS] zoneminder

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Feb 6 16:48:46 UTC 2014

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On 02/06/2014 10:33 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> One more thing about zoneminder: after installing it on an FC19 system,
>> I don't see anything that I could immediately identify as a driver. *HOW*
>> does it get the video? In motion, the very lightweight package, it's
>> using V4L2, and the drivers, gspca*, are part of the kernel these days. If
>> ZoneMindar is using the same drivers, then I'd expect that it would
>> occasionally, after an update, wind up with the same problems motion
>> does.
>
> In the zoneminder web console, click the 'Add New Monitor' button. In
> the 'Monitor' dialog, and the 'General' tab, click the pulldown by
> 'Source Type' and select 'local.'   In the 'Source' tab, enter the video
> device path and select the 'Capture Method' (V4L1 and V4L2 are both
<snip>
Ok, so it *is* the same device driver... the ones I worry about.

On the other hand, if we get *new*, higher quality cameras, it'll be
different drivers to worry about. <g>

>> Btw, I'm now also looking at lower-end video capture cards, like the
>> Hauppage Impactvdb, model 188 (four bnc inputs). For that, what I
>> haven't found out yet, is whether it provides the cameras one at a
time, to be
>> switched among, or if all four can stream at the same time, which is
>> what we *must* have.
>>
> You need a capture chip per simultaneous channel.  Most of the low-end
> '4 input' cards have one chip and a 4 to 1 mux.
>
> Linux Media Labs has a four-chip card at a pretty good price point, and
> they specifically support zoneminder.  See:
> http://www.linuxmedialabs.com/product_details.php?prodid=350 for the
> specific card, which is $165, and a lot less than the previous 4 channel
> LMLBT44 card was (we have three of the LMLBT44's, and paid ~$400 each
> for them ten years ago, but they're half that price now. Oh, and they
> all three still work fine.).

Bing! THANK YOU!!! That *is* in our price range, and is exactly the kind
of thing I've been trying to find, *and* I see it support both ZM *and*
Motion.

       mark