[CentOS] Raid on centos

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Feb 7 15:45:40 UTC 2014

On 2/7/2014 7:28 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> I was thinking of a bay along the lines of:
>
> http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/node/1824  or
> http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=151
>
> I wonder what performance would be like through multiplexing the eSATA
> interface compared to buying a 4-6 port internal SATA card.

well, it would have to be a 4-6 port EXTERNAL sata card, and I don't
think you can find those in low profile pci-e as there just isn't room
for that many connectors on the LP backplate.   you could use a 4 port
SAS card but thats more expensive.

yes, 1 eSATA expanded to 4 drives is going to be slower than 4 dedicated
ports.   not sure that matters enough on my home NAS