[CentOS] Raid on centos

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 17:32:22 UTC 2014

On 7 February 2014 16:34, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> On 2/7/2014 8:06 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> > The two I linked are internal units to go in a 5.25" bay ... that's why
> > you'd need an internal 4-6 port card to make them worthwhile.
>
> ah, I thought we were talking about esata external 4-bays, since we were
> talking about microservers which don't HAVE said 5.25" bays.
>
> the desktop chassis I usually get have 6-8 3.5" bays in them already,
> albeit they are side load internals.

Different generation of microserver ... I hadn't seen the gen8's till you
mentioned them today (I actually thought you were mentioning  the rack
based dl*gen8s) ...

The previous gen microservers (N40/45/54L) have all have a 5.25" bay at the
top principally for an optical drive but it's common use to put extra
drives in there (caddied or just plain wedged .. my OS drive is a single
3.5" drive wedged in it for instance).

See the N40L wiki here for an idea of what I'm talking about:

http://n40l.wikia.com/wiki/HP_MicroServer_N40L_Wiki