[CentOS] OT hard disk geometry

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Feb 8 13:28:18 UTC 2014

Miguel Medalha wrote:

> The WD is a SATA3 drive (6gb/s). Are you sure that your motherboard
> supports SATA3 drives? Maybe SOME ports support them while others do
> not? If not, can you force the WD to operate in a lower mode? Some
> drives can, either by hardware or software.

Thank you very much for your lucid explanation,
which has clarified the issue greatly in my mind.
I was indeed completely ignorant of the basic facts about SATA drives,
since in my (limited) experience they simply worked when installed.

The two HP MicroServers I have are both N36L models, 3 years old.
I had better check if these do support SATA3 drives.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net