[CentOS] OpenVPN problem

Timothy Murphy

gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Feb 8 13:50:07 UTC 2014

I'm having problems communicating with a remote server, with openvpn.
I can link with ssh ok, but the link stalls when viewing
any but the smallest texts.
I tried reducing the tun0 MTU, though only from 1500 to 1400,
but this seemed to have no effect.

Before trying a larger reduction, I'd like to clarify two points.

Firstly, is it necessary to re-boot the remote machine
for the change in MTU to come into effect?
Or is it sufficient to re-start the openvpn service?
(I'm reluctant to re-boot the remote machine unless it is essential.)

Secondly, must the MTU be changed at both ends?

Any info on these two points gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net