[CentOS] Upgrading Perl (modules) / RequestTracker

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Sat Feb 8 15:07:54 UTC 2014

On 02/05/2014 04:43 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:
>> Use Software Collections. There's a newer perl inside software
>> collections, that contains a newer version of Encode for this and will
>> meet your dependencies. There still isn't an rpm based installer for
>> RT, but you'll be able to do things in a 'more correct' way than
>> overwriting the system perl via cpan bundle updates.
> Is there an overview of how software collections work somewhere?  That
> is, how a user interacts with a choice of versions of the same thing?

Yes, see this link:

https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Software_Collections/

Obviously, any mention of RHN and subscriptions should be ignored and
instead the setup to get software collections is:

yum install centos-release-SCL

Once the release package is installed, all the "yum install" directions
in the documentation will work fine.

(so that means my command above replaces Section 2.1 in the
documentation, but the rest of the documentation is going to work correctly)