[CentOS] Centos 5.10 Firefox 24.3.0 HTML OL

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Thu Feb 13 02:45:57 UTC 2014

On 02/13/2014 03:23 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-02-13 at 14:57 +1300, Rob Kampen wrote:
>
>> On 02/13/2014 02:34 PM, Always Learning wrote:
>>> These
>>>
>>> 	<ol type="a">
>>> 	<ol type="A">
>>> 	<ol type="i">
>>>
>>> used to work in the Centos 5 supplied Firefox. Now OL produce digits
>>> instead.
>>>
>>> http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_ol_type.asp states
>>>
>>> "Differences Between HTML 4.01 and HTML5
>>> The type attribute of the <ol> element is no longer deprecated in
>>> HTML5."
>> i.e. no longer deprecated - implies it is either removed and not allowed
>> or supported any more, or it has moved from being deprecated to valid
>> .... poor choice of wording.
>> just beware - w3schools.com is not authoritative on www / html / css -
>> they hold a useful domain name that google insists on showing at or near
>> the top of every search.
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks for your help. Clarity in English is increasingly important
> especially as the USA's gobbledygook English has replaced chunks of
> England's proper English.
>
> After reading your contribution I did another Google on "html 5 ol" and
> found
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/ol.html
>
> which states, inter alia,
>
> "The start attribute on the ol element was deprecated in a previous
> version of HTML, but is no longer deprecated, as it has meaning and is
> not simply presentational."
>
> The web page then gives these examples:-
>
> "" type = "1" or "a" or "A" or "i" or "I"   ""
>
> This HTML 5 syntax suggests to me OL was never actually withdrawn or
> cancelled from HTML 4.1 thus Firefox should continue to render it
> properly according to the HTML 4.1 specification and, importantly, being
> aware that OL is definitely established in the HTML 5 specification.
>
> My question is: Is the lack of rendering in FF a bug, a fault or an
> error ?
At this point it may be better to move the conversation, bug reporting
to firefox / mozilla as CentOS will only faithfully reproduce what
upstream (both redhat and mozilla org ) deign to provide.
Have you tried chromium? konqueror? I use these on the odd occasions
(couple of times a week) that a web site appears to malfunction, and
usually manage to get around the problem. I must admit, it is getting
frustrating to navigate the web with all the different bells and
whistles that site developers try to implement, only to find that one's
selected browser fails to render ....