[CentOS] RSync Problem

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Fri Feb 14 14:49:47 UTC 2014

In article <52FE23C4.50101 at gmail.com>, Joseph Hesse <joehesse at gmail.com> wrote:
> I use an external USB drive and rsync to back up everything in /home.
> The USB drive has an entry in fstab and I mount it with "# mount /mnt"
> The rsync command I use is:
>
> rsync -av --delete --include='.thunderbird' --include='.filezilla'
> --include='.putty' \
> --exclude='.*' --exclude='Desktop' --exclude='VirtualBox*' /home/*
> /mnt/home/
>
> After I deleted one of the users on my system, including their home
> directory, I ran the rsync command.
> I found that the deleted user's home directory wasn't deleted from
> /mnt/home.
> I thought that the --delete option deleted everything on the destination
> that was not on the source.

If you had specified /home/ instead of /home/* it would have done so.

If you originally had users fred, joe and mary on the system, your previous
rsyncs would have said ... /home/fred /home/joe /home/mary /mnt/home/

Then when you deleted joe, your rsync says ... /home/fred /home/mary /mnt/home/
so it doesn't even consider /home/joe on the target.

If you do change it, make sure you say /home/ and not /home

Hope this helps!
Tony

--
Tony Mountifield