[CentOS] Emacs, Gnus, HTML emails and nbsp's...

Mark Plowman

mark+centos at plowman.nl
Sat Feb 15 11:26:35 UTC 2014

Is there an emacs guru amongst the CentOS bretheren who can help me with
the following:

  Since upgrading from CentOS 5.10, Emacs 21.4.1 and Gnus v5.9.0 to
  CentOS 6.5, Emacs 23.1.1 and Gnus v5.13 HTML emails are now being
  renderd in a pretty reasonable way (thanks!), *but*
  non-breaking-spaces (nbsp's - UTF8 0xC2, 0xA0) and a few other
  "unusual" characters are always displayed (both in my graphical
  display and in terminals and PuTTY sessions) as octal bytes
  (e.g. \302\240) instead of being renderd as glyphs.

Why?

Is it to do with the locale?  That says:

  $ locale
  LANG=en_US.utf8
  LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
  LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
  LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
  LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
  LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
  LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
  LC_PAPER=en_GB.UTF_8
  LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
  LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
  LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
  LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
  LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
  LC_ALL=

Something in Gnus.  Something in emacs?  Is it something else?

If I make a file and insert UTF-8 characters using hexl-mode:

  C2 A0 0A C2 A3 0A

I see the correct glyphs (nbsp (an underlined cell) and a pound sign)
when I open the file in emacs.

Some clue stick please...

Greetings

Mark

--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples
  then you and I will still each have one apple.

  --  George Bernard Shaw

Do *not* use the following address, it's just a "spam trap":
  aaron02 at plowman.nl