[CentOS] Filesystem gets corrupted after kernel upgrade to 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6

Max Grobecker

max at grobecker.info
Sat Feb 15 17:33:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

I recently installed some fresh CentOS 6.5 machines and it took only
about 20 minutes until the file system (ext4) was broken.
And with "broken" I mean, that the system wasn't able to find vital
system libraries any more!

I were able to reproduce it on highly different systems:

 - A fresh installed CentOS 6.5 64 Bit on a virtual machine (KVM)
 - A system which I installed some weeks ago (also a KVM machine) and
did a "yum update" which upgraded to kernel 2.6.32-431.5.1.el6.
 - A fresh installed CentOS 6.5 64 Bit on native hardware on a RAID 5
assembled with mdadm
 - A CentOS 6.4 system installed some months ago on native hardware with
mdadm RAID 5

The last system wasn't able to boot after the upgrade and crashed with
several kernel panics which I can show as a screenshot if there's any
interest - but the display resolution was quite low so there are not
many helpful information :-(

Actually, I assume that there's anything broken with the new kernel or
at least the kernel module for ext4 file system.
You can reproduce it by just doing a "yum update" and rebooting the
system. If it comes up, reboot it again and manually do an offline
filesystem check - or just do some writing activities on the disks.

Is it just me? I don't use any 3rd party repositorys and it blows my
mind that no one else seems to notice...!

Greetings from Wuppertal, Germany
 Max