[CentOS] Best way to virtualize Windows XP on Centos

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Thu Feb 20 10:04:52 UTC 2014

On 19/02/2014 23:09, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 02/19/2014 05:05 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> that limit was rescinded in August.    ESXI 5.5 is now free for
>>> unlimited memory.  about the only restriction is max 8 CPU cores per VM.
>>>
>> Figures... I think I built those in June or so.   Anyway, while the
>> VMware console client is somewhat slicker I don't see any functional
>> reason to change back - KVM runs them just the same.
>>
> I ran (in my previous job) four Windows 2008 server VMs, two Windows XP
> VMs, and one Windows 7 VM on KVM with CentOS-5.x as the base OS.  I did
> not have any major issues .. but I did not try to do things like USB
> connections, etc.

I run, on Centos 6.5, a headless Virtualbox system with phpVirtualbox
which runs:

17 Centos 6.5 Systems
1 Windows 7 System
1 FreeBSD System

Works a treat, the hardware is a dual Quad core Xeon system with 96GB of
RAM. Not had any problems with CPU over-subscription.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd