[CentOS] Best way to virtualize Windows XP on Centos

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Fri Feb 21 11:51:54 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:13:29PM -0500, Mark LaPierre wrote:

> On 02/19/2014 03:39 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Frank Cox
> > <theatre at melvilletheatre.com> wrote:
> >> I may have a need to run some version of Windows (XP?) on my
> >> desktop.
> >>
> >> I was looking at virtualbox.  Is this the best approach?  I get
> >> the impression that there are special kernel modules that are
> >> required for virtualbox, but if I install dkms then that will be
> >> automatically handled for me whenever there is a kernel upgrade.
> >> Install dkms, install the virtualbox repo, install virtualbox
> >> rpms, set up image, done.  Is that all there is to it?  Would
> >> something other than virtualbox be better?
> >>
> >> Any recommendations or suggestions will be appreciated.
> >
> > Virtualbox will work, but if you want to stick to stock packages
> > and aren't concerned about running your images on other types of
> > hosts, try KVM first.

KVM, in my experience, gives a poorer graphic performance, sound and/or USB
may not work, and bridged networking is a little less intuitive.  None of
this may matter to you though.  For a single desktop, I think VirtualBox
takes the least effort to set up.  KVM is pretty painless, but the
interface is less intuitive. On the other hand, if you later want to run
several instances of CentOS on a machine, especially without a GUI, then
KVM is far superior in my experience, as far as resource management, so is
definitely worth getting used to.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6