[CentOS] suggestions for large filesystem server setup (n * 100 TB)

Phelps, Matt mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 28 13:55:56 UTC 2014

I'd highly recommend getting a NetApp storage device for something that big.

It's more expensive up front, but the amount of heartache/time saved in the
long run is WELL worth it.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator <
goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> over time the requirements and possibilities regarding filesystems
> changed for our users.
>
> currently I'm faced with the question:
>
> What might be a good way to provide one big filesystem for a few users
> which could also be enlarged; backuping the data is not the question.
>
> Big in that context is up to couple of 100 TB may be.
>
> O.K. I could install one hardware raid with e.g. N big drives format
> with xfs. And export one big share. Done.
>
> On the other hand, e.g. using 60 4 TB Disks in one storage would be a
> lot of space, but a nightmare in rebuilding on a disk crash.
>
> Now if the share fills up, my users "complain", that they usually get a
> new share (what is a new raidbox).
>
> From my POV I could e.g. use hardware raidboxes, and use LVM and
> filesystem growth options to extend the final share, but what if one of
> the boxes crash totally? The whole Filesystem would be gone.
>
> hm.
>
> So how do you handle big filesystems/storages/shares?
>
>         Regards . Götz
>
> --
> Götz Reinicke
> IT-Koordinator
>
> Tel. +49 7141 969 82 420
> E-Mail goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
>
> Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
> Akademiehof 10
> 71638 Ludwigsburg
> www.filmakademie.de
>
> Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016
>
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jürgen Walter MdL
> Staatssekretär im Ministerium für Wissenschaft,
> Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg
>
> Geschäftsführer: Prof. Thomas Schadt

Matt Phelps
System Administrator, Computation Facility
Harvard - Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu, http://www.cfa.harvard.edu