[CentOS] CentOS 6.5 install

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Feb 28 15:33:16 UTC 2014

On 02/28/2014 08:45 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
>> This keeps /home and /var in separate filesystems, too, and there are
>> advantages to that.
> 'Resize as needed'  is not at all the same as sharing a pool of space.

Exactly, and I would posit that that is desirable when dealing with
/home and /var.

>   There are sometimes advantages to having things not share disk heads
> or spindles, but you don't need LVM for that, and sometimes (rarely)
> you might want to reinstall without reformatting /home,

The nice thing about LVM in this context is that you can take the whole
non-root volume group and import it into the new machine with minimal
effort.  /var is a bit tedious, but /home on the other hand benefits
greatly from this.  And I've used a separate /home since... well, since
RHL betas were named after cities.  I've reinstalled without
reformatting /home on my whatever-is-the-current-hardware personal
machine over a hundred times since 1998, and have *kept* the *same*
/home (in essence).  Admittedly, I have had to move some things out of
the way (.kde, and a few other configs over the years) and of course
I've moved it to different drives (about two dozen at this point, not
counting backups), but my /home today still contains files from 1998,
when I first started doing this (you know, things like old TRS-80 disk
images for the xtrs emulator that I pulled from 20-year-old-media in the
1998-2002 timeframe).

While it would not be technically true that I've never reformatted /home
during the install, since when moving to a new drive it is a bit easier
to do the install with the existing /home partition or volume group
unmounted, then edit /etc/fstab later, or even install to a scratch new
drive, leaving the space for /home to later be copied over from the old
media or a backup, but in essence I've gone 16 years with pretty much
the same, ever-changing, /home on my personal machine.