[CentOS] intrusive chrome [was: Re: clicking on link in Thunderbird fails to open page in Firefox]

me at tdiehl.org

Wed Jan 1 16:26:55 UTC 2014

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, Akemi Yagi wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:54 AM,  <me at tdiehl.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 12/30/2013, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>
>>> If so, the recent xorg-x11-server updates require that you rebuild (or
>>> reinstall) the drivers as those drivers replace some xorg files and if
>>> you do not reinstall it can freeze the system or crash X.
>>
>> Another thing you can do if you are using the NVIDIA drivers is add the
>> following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>>
>> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
>> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
>>
>> See http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=425 for more details.
>>
>> By fixing the xorg.conf file, you do not have to worry about this problem
>> re-occurring next time xorg gets upgraded.
>
> In case it is not obvious, I'd like to add a note here. If you are
> using ELRepo's Nvidia driver, you do _not_ have to do anything as the
> referenced issue has been taken care of in there. Quoting Phil Perry
> from that bug report (comment 3338):
>
> "You are correct that the file
> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is indeed from the distro
> package xorg-x11-server-Xorg. We DO NOT replace that file as if we did
> every time the distro package xorg-x11-server-Xorg gets updated the
> NVIDIA drivers will break. This is the way the NVIDIA proprietary
> installer does it and it's the WRONG way."

I have used the EL-Repo Nvidia package since I loaded C6 on this machine in
the early days of 6.0. Are you saying that I did not have to modify the
xorg.conf? The only way I could get it to load the Nvidia driver without
reinstalling, was to make the changes noted in the above referenced bug.

Please clarify what you mean.

Regards,

Tom			me at tdiehl.org		Spamtrap address	 		me123 at tdiehl.org