[CentOS] intrusive chrome [was: Re: clicking on link in Thunderbird fails to open page in Firefox]

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Thu Jan 2 00:12:52 UTC 2014

On 01/01/14 16:26, me at tdiehl.org wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, Akemi Yagi wrote:

>>> Another thing you can do if you are using the NVIDIA drivers is add the
>>> following to /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
>>>
>>> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
>>> ModulePath "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
>>> FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/Type1"
>>>
>>> See http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=425 for more details.
>>>
>>> By fixing the xorg.conf file, you do not have to worry about this problem
>>> re-occurring next time xorg gets upgraded.
>>
>> In case it is not obvious, I'd like to add a note here. If you are
>> using ELRepo's Nvidia driver, you do _not_ have to do anything as the
>> referenced issue has been taken care of in there. Quoting Phil Perry
>> from that bug report (comment 3338):
>>
>> "You are correct that the file
>> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so is indeed from the distro
>> package xorg-x11-server-Xorg. We DO NOT replace that file as if we did
>> every time the distro package xorg-x11-server-Xorg gets updated the
>> NVIDIA drivers will break. This is the way the NVIDIA proprietary
>> installer does it and it's the WRONG way."
>
> I have used the EL-Repo Nvidia package since I loaded C6 on this machine in
> the early days of 6.0. Are you saying that I did not have to modify the
> xorg.conf? The only way I could get it to load the Nvidia driver without
> reinstalling, was to make the changes noted in the above referenced bug.
>
> Please clarify what you mean.
>
> Regards,

That's correct - you shouldn't have to modify anything - the package
should take care of everything for you. With one caveat - the package
was designed against a clean system and there is no way we can account
for every possibility so it is possible that some users may have
modified their systems in such a way that we had not envisaged or
accounted for. This has happened, and with feedback from users we have
been able to continually improve the packages to account for some of
these situations.

To give you an idea what the package does; first any existing xorg.conf
is backed up and removed and then a clean xorg.conf is freshly created
with the necessary "Files" section including the correct path to the
nvidia libs. The driver is then enabled and (on el6) the necessary steps
are taken to disable the nouveau driver. This should give all users a
basic working installation and subsequent updates should not break this.

Some of this has evolved over time and all might not have been in place
when you first installed the driver if you've been using the packages
since the initial release of 6.0 - it's been a process of ongoing
development.

But the intention is always for the packages to operate in a seamless
fashion - install, update, forget; other than any special user-specific
configurations you may need to make to support things such as multiple
displays etc. If the packages aren't operating as designed then please
file a bug and we will investigate and fix any issues. WRT the bug
above, I was unable to replicate the issue and it was my understanding
the issue was caused by not rebooting after updating the drivers.

So to clarify, on a fresh install of EL6, installing the correct nvidia
drivers for your device from elrepo followed by a reboot should leave
you with a fully working system.