[CentOS] I want to ask about some Kernel level operations.

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Jan 2 00:14:31 UTC 2014

On 1/1/2014 3:53 PM, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> I have compiled software as a root user more then once and I am not sure
> why would there is a need to run it as non-root user?

Its the principle of least privilege.

You don't need to be root to compile software, or to test software in a
local directory, you only need root privileges to install it to a system
directory.   When you're developing, building, testing software, there's
a very good chance of something going wrong, so if you are running as a
non-root user, the potential damages are minimized.