[CentOS] I want to ask about some Kernel level operations.

Markus Falb wnefal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 16:37:05 UTC 2014

On 02.Jan.2014, at 00:53, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:

> I want to make sure that while compiling as root nothing will break down
> inside the machine.
>
> I want to compile software on a Xeon SERVER.
> The basic issue is that there is a recommendation to not compile it as a
> root user.

Actually I would go even further and not recommend to have a compiler
installed on a server.

> I have compiled software as a root user more then once and I am not sure
> why would there is a need to run it as non-root user?
>
> I have taken a look at the /proc/ FS but I do not see anything that can
> harm anything yet.
>
> From my aspect it's just background of electricity noise.

An example:

imagine a Makefile with a clean target

$BUILDDIR=something
clean:
   rm -rf $BUILDDIR/*

a bug in the configure script could lead to an empty $BUILDDIR in the Makefile.
What do you think happens when you type

# make clean

--
Markus