[CentOS] CentOS on HP DL360e with B120i

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jan 7 19:04:44 UTC 2014

Tony Mountifield wrote:
> I am trying to install CentOS5 on a new HP DL360e G8 with B120i disk
> controller. It appears that a proprietary HP driver is needed for it.
>
> I found a useful description at
> http://www.linuxhelp.in/2013/08/Installing-centos-on-HP-Proliant-DL360e-Gen8-with-B120i-controller.html
>
> I have a pair of hard drives to use as a RAID1 mirror.

Have you already set up the drives in the firmware to present to the o/s?
If you haven't done that before, on a system that has all the drives going
through the hardware controller, you need to know that you *must* go that
way. After, the o/s will see it correctly as SATA/scsi.

With Dells and a PERC, even if you don't want RAID, you *must* create it
on your drives as raid 0? Something, and then it presents that as a drive.

> My question to people who may have been this way already is: is it worth
> my fiddling around with that procedure to get the RAID controller working,
> performance-wise, or might I just as well use AHCI mode with kernel
> mdraid?

Intel fakeRAID, I do that. For a real h/w RAID controller, you not only
should use it, you *must* use it.

> I normally use Supermicro with AHCI and mdraid quite happily, but the
> customer wanted HP :(

         mark, who *really* dislikes SuperMicro m/b