[CentOS] SSSD and usermod

Dimitar Georgievski mitkany at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 20:27:36 UTC 2014

Hi Mitja,

>From the description of the problem it seems that the usermod - SSSD
integration is not working. 389DS just stores the user information but SSSD
is not enforcing the policy, and usermod fails because the user info is not
stored locally.

I think you should consider using FreeIPA instead of just 389DS, because
with it you would be able to manage centrally user policies (sudo, host
access rules, account expiration etc). With this you would be able to
enforce a lock of a user account on a particular host or group of hosts.
FreeIPA would just give you the user friendly tools (Web UI and command
line) to manage the user accounts and their policies. 389DS would still be
storing and providing the information about these resources.

You should also try posting this question on the freeipa mailing list. It
also covers the usage of the SSSD client. You could get answers to your
questions directly from the developers and RH engineers.

If it's of any help I've attached a sample of SSSD configuration used in
our environment.

Thanks

Dimitar