[CentOS] [CentOS-announce] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 16:35:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:54 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> Is Red Hat in business to make money ... of course they are.  Does Red
> Hat make more money or less money if their community projects do well?
> Of course they make more money if more people use their community
> projects.  Red Hat wants CentOS, Fedora, RDO, GlusterFS, oVirt,
> OpenShift Origin, and every other project where they provide support to
> do thrive and grow.

I've always thought Red Hat was at its best before they started
restricting access to the finished product, even to the community that
contributed most of the code and bug reports that made it possible and
usable.   That is, when they just sold support and the released code
was the same for everyone, including the binaries.  Without that, I
don't think they would exist today.  While I greatly appreciate the
CentOS project and the way it has continued this access in a practical
sense, I still don't understand why Red Hat thinks it is a good idea
to dilute their brand name or make it less visible and well known.
(Well, I can understand it with Fedora as the never-finished work in
progress, but not for the equivalent of the base CentOS as an exact
clone.).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com