[CentOS] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Jan 9 12:55:26 UTC 2014

On 01/09/2014 08:34 AM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Is this for real? Oracle are apparently a thorn in the side to RH and
> thus all the changes to C6 that caused lots of delays ...... if this
> changes as indicated, doesn't that negate all those changes and give
> Oracle a leg up to getting their clone to market sooner?
> I guess I'm missing something

I really dont know how oracle's linux rebuild effort works - but as far
as I -do- know, the sources are available at the same time to everyone
right ? its a case of what you do with them and how you do it.

Also, i think people are reading too far into the delays for C6 were
caused by redhat - it was also down to limited resources, machines, time
and almost no QA infra at .centos.org  :: that contributed quite a lot.
Things that we have overcome and built up in the last few years.

Might also be worth noting that we have a centos7beta up internally
already.

Look at it another way - we are not working with the RHEL teams, we are
working with the RH open source and standards team ( that has no real
input into RHEL ) - to expand what we do with the platform, rather than
carry on with the single focus of the platform. And I think being more
open and more community driven, we -can- improve across the board.

--
Karanbir Singh