[CentOS] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 19:45:40 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 1/9/2014 11:26 AM, David Miller wrote:
>> At this point I really don't see why RedHat doesn't just offer RHEL + updates + extra channels for free and then only charge for support. This would put them on a real equal ground with Canonical.
>
> I suspect doing so would cut heavily into their revenue stream, as many
> business IT operations types who are told they have to run RHEL because
> ___ requires it would just install it and never pay for support.   by
> keeping the free version separately branded, however slight the actual
> difference, discourages this except by those in the know.

Probably has something to do with being able to require paid support
for _all_ instances of RHEL you are running to get any.  It then takes
at least a little effort on the user's end to install CentOS on the
less critical hosts instead of just cloning everything and paying for
support on one copy.

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com