[CentOS] CentOS Project joins forces with Red Hat

Michael Simpson mikie.simpson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 23:43:52 UTC 2014

On 9 January 2014 13:35, Leslie S Satenstein <lsatenstein at yahoo.com> wrote:

> As I see it, more and more alternatives to Oracle are in the market.
> Hadoop, is cutting into Oracle's revenue.
>
> So, RH needs to concentrate on promoting JBOSS and a version of HADOOP.
> Don't worry about Oracle.

Fedora 20 allows for installation of the latest hadoop with yum.
I don't know if this is in CentOS 7 but i can't see it in the SotB.

I am gearing up for a project based on using a hadoop cluster (along with
HiveQL) and my current plan was going to use fedora 20 for the nodes with
CentOS used for everything else.
I wasn't overly happy about the prospect of the inevitable churn but this
good news has made me reconsider.

I am willing to bet my time that the trade off between helping maintain
hadoop/hbase/hive/avro/mahout/zookeeper as part of a CentOS SIG in the "new
era" against the reduced change control required to avoid fedora breakage
will be worth it.

I'll drop by #centos-devel

regards

mike