[CentOS] Linux reinstallation without rebooting? Alternative to kickstart and other such tools?

Rafał Radecki

radecki.rafal at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 09:08:57 UTC 2014

Hi All.

I am curious if it is possible to reinstall linux distribution to centos
(or another distro) if I have a remote linux server with no kvm access (i
do not want to use virtualization). I know that for installation pxe,
tftpboot and kickstart or a proper iso/cd and kickstart are standard
options. But for such operations I would need kvm access. Are there any
alternatives which do not need it? For example: I have a centos server,
then I add some software, run it, point to a kickstart file available
through http remotely or give network parameters and partitioning layout
and the software takes care of the rest, no need for kvm access during
install.

Is something like that possible? :)
I know that it may be seen as an "exotic" question but there are many
opensource projects starting every day and maybe someone knows an
interesting piece of software. Thanks!

Best regards,
Rafal.