[CentOS] [resolved ]nfs client kerberos cache

Darod Zyree

darodzyree at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 11:27:28 UTC 2014

2014/1/6 Darod Zyree <darodzyree at gmail.com>

> Greetings,
>
> Not sure if this is the correct mail list.
>
> I have the following test environment set up:
> - 1x ipa master = ipa1.example.com
> - 1x nfs server = nfs1.example.com
> - 1x nfs client = nfsclient1.example.com
>
> NFS version 4 is used and the appropriate Kerberos principal has been
> created in IPA:
>
> [root at nfs1 ~]# ipa service-show nfs/nfs1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
>
> Principal: nfs/nfs1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM
> Keytab: True
> Managed by: nfs1.example.com
>

> Mounting using krb5p works:
>
> [root at nfsclient1 ~]# mount -v -t nfs -o sec=krb5p
> nfs1.example.com:/exports/homes/ /mnt
>
> mount.nfs: timeout set for Mon Jan  6 21:25:56 2014
> mount.nfs: trying text-based options
> 'sec=krb5p,vers=4,addr=192.168.12.172,clientaddr=192.168.12.173'
> nfs1.example.com:/exports/homes/ on /mnt type nfs (rw,sec=krb5p)
>
> rpcgssd created the Kerberos cache file as indicated
> in /var/log/messages:
> rpc.gssd[2473]: INFO: Credentials in CC
> 'FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_machine_EXAMPLE.COM' are good until 1389125973
>

> So far so good, but then:
>
> 1) I unmount everything from nfs1, remove the nfs1.example.host, its DNS
> record(s) and service principcals.
> 2) I redeploy the nfs1.example.com and re-create the
> nfs/nfs1.example.com at EXAMPLE.COM principal
>
> 3) I try to mount the same NFS share from nfs1 on nfsclient1 I get an
> error:
> mount.nfs: trying text-based options
> 'sec=krb5p,vers=4,addr=192.168.12.172,clientaddr=192.168.12.173'
> mount.nfs: mount(2): Operation not permitted
>
> Now I'm not an IPA or Kerberos expert but I am guessing that this
> happens because the nfsclient1 still has, and uses,
> the /tmp/krb5cc_machine_EXAMPLE.COM cache file?
> This file would have the “old” Kerberos credentials?...
>
> On the NFS server in /var/log/messages this error message is displayed:
> "rpc.svcgssd[5983]: ERROR: GSS-API: error in handle_nullreq:
> gss_accept_sec_context(): GSS_S_FAILURE (Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor
> code may provide more information) - Wrong principal in request"
>
> On the NFS client in /var/log/messages these messages are displayed:
> "creating context with server nfs at nfs1.example.com"
>
> "WARNING: Failed to create machine krb5 context with credentials cache
> FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_machine_EXAMPLE.COM for server nfs1.example.com"
>
> "WARNING: Machine cache is prematurely expired or corrupted trying to
> recreate cache for server nfs1.example.com"
>
> Restarting the rpcgssd daemon works, this action removes
> the /tmp/krb5cc_machine_EXAMPLE.COM file and upon a mount command it is
> recreated.
> However restarting the rpcgssd daemon on all NFS clients every time an
> NFS server is redeployed doesn't feel right.
>
> Anyone perhaps have an idea on what I might be doing wrong?
> Or is this by design?

After dicussing this with Red Hat support the best way to go about this
issue is to just restart the rpcgssd deamon on any nfs client that recently
had a mount to the re-deployed nfs server.

Restarting rpcgssd removes the /tmp/krb5cc_machine_EXAMPLE.COM file so a
new one can be created.

One other method would be to save various files (things like keytabs) and
re-use these after deployment but that turned out to be too much effort to
automate.