[CentOS] A question about 7

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Jan 14 21:38:47 UTC 2014

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>
>> How bad is the worst case -- reinstall the OS and rebuild the software
-- anyway?  By doing your initial work on the RHEL 7 beta, you learn
what you need to know to quickly redo the work on CentOS 7.

> Is there anything to simplify the process of duplicating the set of
installed packages when you didn't pay that much attention the first
time around?   It seems like taking the list from 'rpm -qa' on a running
machine and feeding it to 'yum install ....' on a new minimal install
should get pretty close, but then you need to find all of your locally
modified config files.  Most of that should be under
> /etc/sysconfig for an easy diff, but not everything.

Interesting note: I just started looking at the docs for 7. and two
things: one, of course, preupgrade is in, and second, something that, if I
read it correctly, called zstream, which will give you a report of what
preupgrade would do, and list things that would have to be done my hand,
so you can judge the difficulty of upgrading in place.

       mark