[CentOS] A question about 7

Warren Young warren at etr-usa.com
Wed Jan 15 02:21:44 UTC 2014

On 1/14/2014 18:34, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:
>>

>> Now I have to remember which *PCI slot* my Ethernet card is in when I
>> run "ifconfig" unless I want to dig through the full listing.
>
> Yes, but that's something you _can_ know.

How much time and resources do you need to learn the answer?

Puzzle for ya: What "PCI slot" is the Intel e1000e MAC chip in on a
Supermicro X9SCA-F motherboard?  It isn't called out in the mobo manual.
  I just looked.  (For that matter, the actual PCI slots don't have
their numbers documented in the manual, either.)

If you can't get lucky with Google, you're just going to have to install
EL7 on it and find out.  And if you can do that, why not just build it
and ship it?

> Somehow you have to get
> someone to put the 4 network cables in the right NICs before anything
> can connect.

Yes, I know that problem.

We solved it here years ago by building the full system, testing it,
then labeling the ports with a Sharpie.  Then, later, we got really
fancy and switched to a Brother label maker.

Sure, it means we have to have the barebones chassis shipped here first,
but as you're doubtless aware, that shipping charge is cheap next to the
confusion that can happen in the field when Joe Wirepuller is asked to
plug it all in, if nothing is labeled.