[CentOS] A question about 7

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 02:35:06 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 8:21 PM, Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com> wrote:

>>> Now I have to remember which *PCI slot* my Ethernet card is in when I
>>> run "ifconfig" unless I want to dig through the full listing.
>>
>> Yes, but that's something you _can_ know.
>
> How much time and resources do you need to learn the answer?

You need a box in a lab setting where you do the build you want to clone.

> Puzzle for ya: What "PCI slot" is the Intel e1000e MAC chip in on a
> Supermicro X9SCA-F motherboard?  It isn't called out in the mobo manual.
>   I just looked.  (For that matter, the actual PCI slots don't have
> their numbers documented in the manual, either.)

Let anaconda figure it out.  I don't care what it is, just that it is
repeatable.

> If you can't get lucky with Google, you're just going to have to install
> EL7 on it and find out.  And if you can do that, why not just build it
> and ship it?

Don't want to ship the chassis twice - and especially not for the
2nd/3rd installs on a remote box.  I want to send a disk and have
someone on-site plug it in and have the box come up working.   For the
2nd/3rd installs, I can get the MAC addresses, but usually don't know
them on the first round.

>> Somehow you have to get
>> someone to put the 4 network cables in the right NICs before anything
>> can connect.
>
> Yes, I know that problem.
>
> We solved it here years ago by building the full system, testing it,
> then labeling the ports with a Sharpie.  Then, later, we got really
> fancy and switched to a Brother label maker.
>
> Sure, it means we have to have the barebones chassis shipped here first,
> but as you're doubtless aware, that shipping charge is cheap next to the
> confusion that can happen in the field when Joe Wirepuller is asked to
> plug it all in, if nothing is labeled.

It gets old when you are doing several a day.   Oh, and we've been
waiting over a month for a resolution on a server that disappeared in
transit, too...

--
   Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell at gmail.com