[CentOS] A question about 7

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Wed Jan 15 02:43:58 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:35:06PM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Let anaconda figure it out.  I don't care what it is, just that it is
> repeatable.

Awooga!  Awoooga!  Awooga!

Here's the fun part; devices discovered by Anaconda may not match the
devices disovered during the production boot.  Device driver order and
bus discovery order wasn't necessarily consistent with the production
kernel.  This is why the HWADDR stuff was added; to work around (poorly)
this issue.  I say poorly becuase I've seen many cases of _net#####
devices where the ifcfg files conflict in same way with the actual
device.

Ultimately what we have is a situation similar to hard disks.  We've got
used to sd devices changing depending on the order disks are discovered
in, which is why we use LABEL or UUID.  HWADDR doesn't work consistently.

The existing process is demonstrably broken.

The new process is new and therefor bad, wrong, disgusting, an abomination.

But maybe... just maybe... it'll work.

--

rgds
Stephen