[CentOS] Advice in Time Sync

Fabrizio Di Carlo dicarlo.fabrizio at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 08:04:38 UTC 2014

You can setup a your own NTP server following this howto:
http://brainwreckedtech.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/howto-run-your-own-ntp-server-when-your-isp-blocks-ports/
and adapting it for CentOS, or you can use a workaround like trying to
setup a cron job to run ntpdate every 15 minutes to sync system time
with ntp.org public servers using unprivilleged port.

15 * * * * /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s -u -B pool.ntp.org

-s option tells ntpdate to print output to syslog; -u tells it to use
unprivilleged port; -B tell it to adjust the time incrementally as
oppose to instantly.

Then setup ntpd as a local ntp server for internal use. This ntpd uses
it's localtime as the source instead of syncing from another ntp.org
public server.