[CentOS] A question about 7

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jan 15 14:42:06 UTC 2014

Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, mark wrote:
>
>> What do you mean, "slot"? All of my servers, and our systems at home,
>> the NIC's on the m/b. What "slot" is that? Is it labeled *anywhere*?
No, of
>> course not.
>
> Many servers have PCI cards for NICs in addition to those on the
> motherboard (if any). For example, most of my file servers have eight
> ethernet interfaces (six 1GBE, two 10GbE). On my Dell servers, the
> built-in interfaces are labeled on the back panel.

I can think of one server we've got, a Dell PER815, that's got a NIC (that
we don't use, dunno why it was in there), and four onboard.

> However, at least in CentOS 6, you can call the interfaces anything you
> want by suitably changing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. The
> names used have to be consistent with
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-*
> of course.
>
> BTW, I have some workstations that have only a single interface, and that
> comes up as p2p1. I actually like the new scheme better, but don't get me
> started on the use of UUID in /etc/fstab...

I disliked it when the first time I started doing sysadmin, on a
Sparcserver 20, back in the mid-nineties, and I don't like it any better
now. Among other things, too easy to mistype one of the letters or
numbers.

About UUIDs, though, I think we can start on that in harmony. UUID is *so*
much easier to remember, and shorter than, say, the serial number on the
disk label... oh, right, it's twice as long....

        mark